deegree PSC Meeting (2012-09-03)
Time: 15:30 - 16:25 h CET
- Old action items, ongoing tasks
- deegree day
- Commercial aspects
- Other business
- Topics for next meeting
2. Old action items, ongoing tasks
- INSPIRE demo data: See what's happening in Germany with the new legislation. Jens: Ask JRC team. (still TBD)
- Comparison to other FOSS GIS software packages: Follow-up Herman
- Jens: Update deegree's OSGeo flyer in OSGeo SVN (still TBD)
- Herman will send dutch version of the flyer to Jens for update in OSGeo SVN
- Project report for 2011 has been posted to OSGeo wiki
FOSSGIS e.V. has been informed that the deegree project would like to contribute to the OSGeo presentation at INTERGEO. - UPDATE 2012-09-05: Information is available on http://www.fossgis.de/wiki/Intergeo_2012#Ausstellende_Projekte
- We still need TMC's feedback on infrastructure issues. They have been asked by email. Perhaps better to update the tracker ... (postponed to next meeting, see below)
- Other stuff, postponed to next meeting (see below)
3. deegree day
- deegree day 2012 management board has been established
- Call for participation has been sent out
- Klaus will invite program committee soon
- Klaus will update planning schedule soon
- Klaus will send hotel information link to Jens for deegree day web site
- Web site to be updated (again)
- 2nd CFP, registration etc.
4. Commercial aspects
- Meeting to discuss this, together with invited guests in September (week 37, only 13th, through 39)
- Some input to the discussion: See Herman's mail as of 2012-06-05:
The question is how to get enough and structural funding for the deegree project. Currently development of deegree is funded by projects/applications using deegree and effort on developers/companies contributing to deegree. Problems with the current approach are: - not enough budget for general work items such as website, documentation, education, outreach activities; - no guaranteed support of applications after project acceptance; - education on deegree not well organized, depends on involved companies (lat/lon, Occam Labs, IDgis); - unbalanced investment of companies/developers involved? Goal of the deegree project: To get a market share of at least 30% of OGC web services, based on open source. This means: - better support of (potential) deegree users, i.e. easy startup with deegree, easy access to developers - more deegree awareness in the world, more outreach activities - more deegree developers Starting point: Multiple involved companies (lat/lon, Occam Labs, IDgis) who need each other to make deegree a success Ideas: - Establish a deegree foundation - Give paying members certain privileges, such as code access, visiblity on the deegree website, use of "deegree certified" logo, etc - Establishing a support program (for organizations/people developing applications based on deegree and organizations/people contributing to deegree) - support SLA's (guaranteed response, resolution times and change request support) - dual licensing (GPL and closed source)?
We derive the following agenda from this for the meeting:
- Review and discussion current problems
- Objectives - What do we want to achieve?
- Brainstorming about possible solutions. What can we do to improve the situation? What can we learn from other projects?
We'd like to have some information at hand before the meeting so that everybody can be well prepared.
5. Other business
- Nothing here today
6. Next meeting
- Infrastructure issues (Jens will ask TMC again)
- deegree in social media (Herman will look into facebook for this)
- Progress on web site and documentation (Jens will ask Torsten about status)
- New logo for the deegree project (Jens prepares a proposal)
- Time and date: 2012-09-17 at 15:30 h CET