How to set up deegree 3 in Eclipse
To create a working deegree 3 workspace in eclipse, make sure your system meets the following requirements:
- Eclipse EE (Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers )
- Oracle Java 1.6+ (JDK)
- Maven 3
2. git checkout
At first, clone the git repository.
You can choose the location of the checkout freely.
The later to be created workspace will be linked to the checkout directory (e.g. /home/user/d3-checkout).
We recommend to checkout the deegree 3 master via following console command:
git clone git://github.com/deegree/deegree3.git
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:deegree/deegree3.git
3. Create a new Eclipse workspace
It is recommended to create a new workspace in eclipse.
There will be a lot of deegree modules listed in the chosen workspace.
If you don't mind that fact, you can use your existing workspace.
To create a new workspace open eclipse.
Afterwards select "File" ==> "Switch workspace" ==> "Other" ==> Select the new workspace path (e.g. /home/user/d3-workspace)==> Hit "Ok".
(Keep in mind that the workspace directory and the eclipse workspace are two different directories).
4. Prepare Maven project
Switch to your deegree 3 checkout directory (e.g. /home/user/d3-checkout/trunk).
Run the following command via console:
mvn eclipse:clean eclipse:eclipse eclipse:configure-workspace deegree:eclipse -Dwtpversion=2.0 -DdownloadSources=true -DdownloadJavadocs=true -Declipse.workspace=/home/user/d3-workspace/
Adjust the -Declipse.workspace property to match your chosen workspace. It is recommended have eclipse closed while this process takes place.
4.1. Explanation of the used Maven plugins and goals
- eclipse:clean eclipse:eclipse: downloads all dependencies, configures the eclipse project
- eclipse:configure-workspace: configures eclipse with the classpath variable M2_REPO
- -DdownloadSources/downloadJavadocs: also download source/javadoc .jars to get Sources and Javadocs in eclipse
- -Dwtpversion=2.0: enable the deegree webapp projects to be recognized as such
- deegree:eclipse: configures the Java source formatter for eclipse, configures certain XML settings to minimize warnings/errors, configures the deegree headers/file templates
5. Import project to Eclipse
Select "File" ==> "Import" ==> "General" ==> "Existing projects into workspace" ==> Select your checkout directory ==> "Finish".
- Configure your name/email address in the new file templates.
That is it. You are done.
For better overview, it's recommended to configure some working sets (eg. d3-core) to group projects/modules.
If you still have a lot of errors in the project try the following steps:
- Delete the project
- Close eclipse
- Go to the checkout directory
Update local working copy git fetch
mvn eclipse:clean eclipse:eclipse deegree:eclipse -Dwtpversion=2.0 -DdownloadSources=true -DdownloadJavadocs=true -Declipse.workspace=/home/user/d3-workspace/
- Open eclipse
- Import the project again.
7. The deegree maven plugin
The deegree3/Maven page has a more detailed explanation regarding the deegree maven plugin's capabilities and usage.