deegree PSC Meeting (2012-06-18)
Time: 15:00 - 16:00 h CET
- Action items review
- Review of TMC proposals
- Other business
2. Review of various action items
- Update on deegree day: Klaus made a first check list of needed activities. Decision that PSC and TMC shall be responsible together for the event.
- INSPIRE demo data (German INSPIRE law, ask JRC team)
- Comparison to other FOSS GIS software packages (Geoserver, UMN Mapserver, ...), University involvement here? - Herman used his contacts in the Netherlands. There was quite some positive feedback. More to follow in the next weeks.
- Commercial aspects (Herman's request)
- Progress on web site and documentation (collect some feedback for follow-up meeting)
- New logo for the deegree project (make it a community activity triggered by web site and mailings)
3. Review of TMC proposals
TMC has been working on several tasks and prepared some technical proposals. Results are documented in the meeting notes as of 2012-05-15. As documented in a TMC tracker item, the PSC shall review the proposals related to the following infrastructure components: tracker, artefact repository, code repository:
- Artefact repository: Agreement that for working around the current issues with Artifactory a Nexus instance will be set up as an intermediate solution. It is important that there is no impact on any component outside the project. And if there is impact, this must be well known and documented in the communication around this activity. For the long term a more thorough investigation of requirements and available solutions is needed. The issue with Nexus is that it is not really open source software.
- Code repository: Migration to git appears to be easy to accomplish. With regard to impact on the outside world it is important to introduce the change with respective announcements in advance (we need TMC input for this). PSC prefers a solution on the deegree.org domain, not a hosted environment of a third party.
- Tracker: JIRA is not open source software. Introduces the issue of vendor lock-in and the implicit weakening of the open source stack. PSC would like to see a requirements analysis and comparison of available tools with a preference for an open source solution. Further more we have the feeling that an integration of the code repository and the tracker might be needed. So if the tracker investigation has an effect on the code repository then immediate notification is needed.
4. Other business
- deegree's OSGeo flyer has been updated, but is not yet in OSGeo SVN
- Next meeting ist scheduled for 2012-06-25 at 1600 CET