Unterhaltung mit #deegree

(14:27:34) Das Thema für #deegree ist: Welcome to deegree, an OSGeo project. Visit the main project page at http://deegree.org and our wiki at http://wiki.deegree.org with lots of extra info. Check out a running system at http://demo.deegree.org and follow us on twitter @deegree_org.
(14:31:56) jwilden [~wilden@static-87-79-89-38.netcologne.de] hat den Raum betreten.
(14:32:23) jwilden: Hello
(14:32:46) markusschneider: hi
(14:32:52) copierrj: hi
(14:32:52) markusschneider: is torsten joining?
(14:33:05) jwilden: I think he is busy
(14:33:24) ndrs: hi
(14:33:28) markusschneider: ok, so we start without him, i guess...
(14:33:40) jwilden: Yes
(14:33:58) markusschneider: welcome jeronimo!
(14:34:08) markusschneider: agenda for today?
(14:34:09) markusschneider: http://wiki.deegree.org/deegreeWiki/TmcMeeting/TmcMeeting20130528
(14:34:27) markusschneider: anything you would like to add?
(14:34:49) jwilden: No
(14:34:51) copierrj: no
(14:35:15) markusschneider: jeronimo, i believe you wanted to bring up a proposal for improving the release quality!?
(14:36:05) wanhoff: yes.
(14:36:38) wanhoff: I think it would be a good idea to have release candidates.
(14:36:45) markusschneider: lets discuss this after the pull requests, okay?
(14:36:53) wanhoff: Okay.
(14:37:05) markusschneider: pulls for 3.3.1
(14:37:11) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/116
(14:37:12) ndrs: +1
(14:37:15) markusschneider: +1
(14:37:21) copierrj: +1
(14:37:22) jwilden: +1
(14:37:26) ndrs: merged.
(14:37:41) markusschneider: pull requests for 3.4-pre1
(14:37:48) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/115
(14:37:50) ndrs: +1
(14:37:50) markusschneider: +1
(14:37:54) copierrj: +1
(14:38:06) jwilden: +1
(14:38:08) ndrs: merged.
(14:38:23) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/117
(14:38:30) ndrs: +1
(14:38:33) copierrj: +1
(14:38:34) jwilden: +1
(14:38:38) markusschneider: +1
(14:38:41) ndrs: merged.
(14:38:54) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/118
(14:38:59) ndrs: +1
(14:39:08) markusschneider: +1
(14:39:08) jwilden: +1
(14:39:14) copierrj: +1
(14:39:16) ndrs: merged.
(14:39:23) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/120
(14:39:25) ndrs: +1
(14:39:32) jwilden: +1
(14:39:36) copierrj: +1
(14:39:36) markusschneider: +1
(14:39:40) jwilden: Nice work btw
(14:39:41) ndrs: merged.
(14:39:45) markusschneider: thanks
(14:39:50) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/121
(14:39:54) ndrs: +1
(14:39:58) markusschneider: +1
(14:40:01) jwilden: +1
(14:40:06) copierrj: +1
(14:40:19) ndrs: merged.
(14:40:39) ndrs: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/119
(14:40:48) ndrs: +1
(14:40:49) markusschneider: +1
(14:40:56) ndrs: (was missing on the agenda)
(14:41:05) copierrj: +1
(14:41:17) jwilden: +1
(14:41:19) ndrs: merged.
(14:41:28) markusschneider: fine
(14:41:43) markusschneider: jeronimo, can you elaborate on your idea?
(14:42:11) wanhoff: I would like to have some kind of release candidates.
(14:42:49) wanhoff: The problem I see at the moment is, that new features are merged at the same time as the release is tagged.
(14:43:14) ndrs: but that's not true
(14:43:24) ndrs: we've at least 3 pre-releases before a final release
(14:43:32) ndrs: for 3.3 we had four
(14:43:45) jwilden: and isn't every pre release some kind of a RC?!
(14:43:51) wanhoff: Okay, but in every pre-release are new features. Thats fine.
(14:44:09) ndrs: well, we try to make more complex changes in the beginning of a new cycle
(14:44:10) wanhoff: But what about the merges when the release is scheduled?
(14:44:34) wanhoff: Are there are pulls, too?
(14:44:41) jwilden: So what you suggest is some kind of feature freeze before a release
(14:44:44) markusschneider: so you suggest to have the last two weeks of the release cycle reserved for bug fixes
(14:44:48) wanhoff: Yes.
(14:45:08) jwilden: Thats a good idea in my opinion
(14:45:15) ndrs: but isn't that what the point releases are all about?
(14:45:40) ndrs: I'm just thinking that two pre releases before release candidates is not much
(14:45:43) wanhoff: No. If a release is announced I expect it to be stable.
(14:46:04) ndrs: well, we're talking about bugs that the tests don't catch, so the release will be reasonably stable
(14:46:18) markusschneider: personally, i second the idea
(14:46:21) wanhoff: I do not like the Idea of having a new pull in a release.
(14:46:35) markusschneider: builds would be:
(14:46:36) jwilden: you mean feature pull
(14:46:41) wanhoff: Yes,
(14:46:55) markusschneider: - 3.x-pre1 (when 3.x-1 is released)
(14:47:00) markusschneider: - 3.x-pre2
(14:47:08) markusschneider: - 3x.pre3
(14:47:20) markusschneider: - 3x-rc1
(14:47:43) markusschneider: and 3.x (together with 3.x+1)
(14:47:55) markusschneider: feature freeze on 3.x-rc1
(14:48:02) copierrj: and no pulls between -rc* and stable?
(14:48:10) markusschneider: only bug fixes
(14:48:16) jwilden: No feature pulls, only fixes
(14:48:19) ndrs: hm, that would mean extending the release cycle to 12 weeks
(14:48:27) markusschneider: would it?
(14:48:33) copierrj: i would suggest another rc when bugs needs to be fixed
(14:48:52) copierrj: imho the last rc and stable release should be identical
(14:49:04) jwilden: I agree
(14:49:06) markusschneider: ideally, yes
(14:49:11) wanhoff: One could open the new branch then the rc is out.
(14:49:31) wanhoff: version branch
(14:49:55) ndrs: ah ok, understood
(14:50:03) markusschneider: well, fine with me
(14:50:05) markusschneider: +1
(14:50:09) jwilden: +1
(14:50:10) ndrs: +1
(14:50:12) tfr [574f5926@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] hat den Raum betreten.
(14:50:14) copierrj: +1
(14:50:51) markusschneider: ok, so we will introduce feature freeze in the 3.4 series
(14:51:05) markusschneider: in the last build before final
(14:51:32) wanhoff: So the idea is that all eight weeks a new 3.x-rc and a new 3.(x+1) version branch is created.
(14:51:44) markusschneider: yes
(14:51:59) markusschneider: you got any plans on testing the rc?
(14:52:06) copierrj: do we agree on having additional release candidates for bugfixes
(14:52:29) ndrs: no, it's more of a feature-freeze-release, not a release candidate
(14:52:46) markusschneider: well, i believe reijer got a point...
(14:52:49) wanhoff: I think the rc-Releases should at least be on demo.deegree.org
(14:52:52) jwilden: I guess if there are serious problems, we will be able to release another rc
(14:52:55) ndrs: I mean, we can do that, but then a 8 weeks release cycle is just too short
(14:53:17) wanhoff: or better testing.deegree.org
(14:53:19) jwilden: i agree, this won't fix the cycle
(14:53:47) markusschneider: @jeronimo: could you help us with this?
(14:54:23) wanhoff: Installing the rcs on demo.deegree.org? Yes, I could do that.
(14:54:30) markusschneider: fine!
(14:54:35) copierrj: nice
(14:54:54) markusschneider: good. anything else?
(14:55:00) jwilden: no
(14:55:20) copierrj: no
(14:55:23) markusschneider: well, see you in two weeks then!
(14:55:28) ndrs: ok, bye
(14:55:33) jwilden: Ok. Thank you
(14:55:38) jwilden: bye
(14:55:46) copierrj: cu
(14:55:54) wanhoff: bye