Unterhaltung mit #deegree

(14:54:10) Das Thema für #deegree ist: Welcome to deegree, an OSGeo project. Visit the main project page at http://deegree.org and our wiki at http://wiki.deegree.org with lots of extra info. Check out a running system at http://demo.deegree.org and follow us on twitter @deegree_org.
(14:54:19) markusschneider: hi...
(14:54:22) markusschneider: sorry for being late
(14:54:28) copierrj: hi
(14:57:15) tfr42 [574f5926@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] hat den Raum betreten.
(14:58:39) markusschneider: ok
(14:59:01) markusschneider: shall we start? i believe johannes is not available today?
(14:59:15) tfr42: Hold on
(15:01:06) tfr42: Johannes will join in a second
(15:01:11) jwilden [~wilden@static-87-79-89-38.netcologne.de] hat den Raum betreten.
(15:01:13) tfr42: HEllo
(15:01:29) jwilden: Hello, sorry for the delay
(15:02:28) markusschneider: no problem, shall we start?
(15:02:35) markusschneider: Agenda: http://wiki.deegree.org/deegreeWiki/TmcMeeting/TmcMeeting20130702
(15:02:49) markusschneider: anything to be added?
(15:02:54) copierrj: yes
(15:03:06) copierrj: two things: mail from website team (by Arie),
(15:03:20) markusschneider: ok
(15:03:28) copierrj: and error handling in deegree (mainly exception handling)
(15:03:57) markusschneider: ok
(15:04:00) markusschneider: I added that
(15:04:09) tfr42: do we have tickets for this?
(15:04:12) markusschneider: anything else?
(15:04:16) markusschneider: not yet
(15:04:19) tfr42: in Trac or Wald?
(15:04:37) markusschneider: it's on the agenda for now. i suggest to add tickets as needed
(15:04:46) markusschneider: ok?
(15:05:33) jwilden: Ok
(15:05:44) tfr42: go ahead
(15:05:53) markusschneider: fine. let's start with the pulls, shall we?
(15:05:58) copierrj: ok
(15:05:59) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/129
(15:06:14) markusschneider: +1
(15:06:16) jwilden: +1
(15:06:36) tfr42: +1
(15:06:45) copierrj: +1
(15:07:00) copierrj: (github is terrible slow here)
(15:07:13) markusschneider: yep. it's also just working again...
(15:07:26) markusschneider: ok, i believe andreas is unavailable
(15:07:48) markusschneider: pulled
(15:08:00) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/132
(15:08:09) jwilden: 0
(15:08:15) copierrj: 0
(15:08:37) markusschneider: +1
(15:08:42) tfr42: 0
(15:08:52) markusschneider: merged
(15:09:06) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/133
(15:09:15) copierrj: +1
(15:09:19) jwilden: +1
(15:09:38) copierrj: I get a pink unicorn again....
(15:10:09) jwilden: its the .jar pull of you ;)
(15:10:11) tfr42: 0
(15:10:35) markusschneider: jwilden: is it?
(15:10:43) markusschneider: I cannot really tell: 0
(15:10:55) copierrj: it isn't according agenda
(15:11:11) jwilden: you're right
(15:11:15) markusschneider: it was: "missing OWSMetadataProvider dependencies added"
(15:11:21) jwilden: true
(15:11:44) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/134
(15:11:53) copierrj: +1
(15:12:03) jwilden: +1
(15:12:06) markusschneider: +1
(15:12:16) tfr42: +1
(15:12:30) markusschneider: merged
(15:12:40) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree3/pull/135
(15:12:46) copierrj: +1
(15:12:49) jwilden: ++1 ;)
(15:13:05) markusschneider: +1
(15:13:55) markusschneider: reijer: why did you use a custom header?
(15:14:23) markusschneider: i believe we recently decided to have a new "standard" header...
(15:14:26) copierrj: I used third party example from: http://wiki.deegree.org/deegreeWiki/HowToAddCopyrightHeaders
(15:14:40) copierrj: didn't find anything else
(15:14:43) markusschneider: i believe this page is utterly outdated
(15:15:01) markusschneider: don't trust the wiki ;-)
(15:15:13) markusschneider: one second
(15:15:29) tfr42: 0 , since I can't evaluate this within a second and I strongly recommend to follow the procedure as described in http://tracker.deegree.org/deegree-services/wiki/FeatureRequestGuidelines
(15:17:04) tfr42: may I change my vote?
(15:17:08) markusschneider: hmm. so you propose to only have "minor" feature enhancements without this?
(15:17:09) copierrj: tfr42: what is your opinion about such a module?
(15:17:33) markusschneider: tfr42: actually, reijer announced this on the mailing list....
(15:17:48) markusschneider: not formally, but still
(15:18:00) markusschneider: but change your vote as you like
(15:18:34) tfr42: -1, since I consider this as a non minor change to deegree
(15:18:43) markusschneider: hmm
(15:18:43) copierrj: tfr42: what is your opinion about such a module?
(15:19:16) copierrj: could we _please_ also discuss content beside procedures
(15:19:28) tfr42: In general I do honor copierrj work but I would like to have a better tracability of new features in deegree
(15:19:54) tfr42: please proceed
(15:19:58) markusschneider: tfr42: i see your point
(15:20:19) markusschneider: but why didn't you give a hint that you consider this as a feature request beforehand...
(15:20:45) markusschneider: ok. i don't want to overrule anybody here
(15:20:57) markusschneider: please give your votes for merging this *now"...
(15:22:18) markusschneider: +1
(15:22:21) jwilden: +1 (and create a ticket for traceability)
(15:22:32) copierrj: besides whether to merge this now I would also like to know what tfr42 things about having such a module
(15:22:45) copierrj: and +1
(15:22:49) copierrj: for merging
(15:23:44) markusschneider: torsten?
(15:24:04) tfr42: abstain
(15:24:52) markusschneider: merged
(15:25:48) markusschneider: personally, i believe spring integration sounds fine..
(15:26:02) markusschneider: ok. anything to add to this topic?
(15:26:43) copierrj: not for now
(15:26:44) markusschneider: Next item: "OSGeo-Live tasks"
(15:26:55) tfr42: Hold on
(15:27:08) markusschneider: sure
(15:27:28) tfr42: I would like to discus the procedures in the next TMC meeting. I will a ticket in wald as a reminder
(15:27:57) markusschneider: fine. i believe we need a clarification between "normal pull" and "feature request"...
(15:28:30) markusschneider: Next item: "OSGeo-Live tasks"
(15:28:39) markusschneider: Johannes, what's the deadline?
(15:28:52) jwilden: One second
(15:29:07) jwilden: 17 Jun 2013 All new applications installed, most old applications updated
(15:29:09) jwilden: 15 Jul 2013 Feature Freeze (all apps updated)
(15:29:11) jwilden: 05 Aug 2013 User Acceptance Test (all apps installed and working)
(15:29:13) jwilden: 26 Aug 2013 Final ISO sent to printers
(15:29:38) markusschneider: i believe the most important tasks are:
(15:29:46) markusschneider: - update to 3.3.x
(15:29:55) markusschneider: - fix documentation
(15:30:01) markusschneider: (on the live disc)
(15:30:24) markusschneider: - provide a workspace (if possible9
(15:30:26) markusschneider: )
(15:30:40) markusschneider: johannes, do we have all the required accounts?
(15:30:46) jwilden: setup config using available data on liveDvd is in progress here
(15:30:54) markusschneider: great!
(15:31:26) jwilden: I have an account for osgeo wiki
(15:31:38) markusschneider: and that works for editing the docs?
(15:31:46) jwilden: Not sure if this works for the svn too
(15:32:03) jwilden: Nope, they are stored in the SVN
(15:32:47) markusschneider: ok. anybody has some time left to help out?
(15:33:05) markusschneider: i probably won't be able to do anything until...
(15:33:19) markusschneider: Monday, 15th...
(15:33:51) markusschneider: btw, do you guys consider this important?
(15:33:51) jwilden: I may have some time on friday, I would start with the documentation then
(15:33:59) markusschneider: great
(15:34:11) jwilden: I don't know how much the DVD is used
(15:34:23) markusschneider: i believe it's very heavily used in the osgeo community
(15:35:10) copierrj: Surprising, I haven't seen a DVD irl for quite some time...
(15:35:28) markusschneider: you mean an announcement of the dvd?
(15:35:50) copierrj: no an actual DVD (I was joking)
(15:36:01) markusschneider: :-)
(15:36:23) markusschneider: ok. next would be "Publish deegree JavaDoc"
(15:36:38) copierrj: publish where? website?
(15:36:54) markusschneider: good question. how about publish at github
(15:36:55) markusschneider: ?
(15:37:03) copierrj: fine with me
(15:37:05) markusschneider: I believe that's possible, but i am not sure
(15:37:14) copierrj: saves the trouble of generating it myself
(15:37:33) markusschneider: anybody willing to organize this?
(15:37:41) tfr42: why github? Isn't this normal static content which we can put on deegree.org web site?
(15:37:43) copierrj: I noticed that javadoc currently isn't part of maven site
(15:38:09) tfr42: I would publish the full maven site on deegree.org
(15:38:14) markusschneider: deegree.org would be fine as well. but for now, i would consider it rather "unofficial"
(15:38:33) markusschneider: we need some maven experts to help with getting the javadoc in the site working
(15:38:38) copierrj: it should imho be places where it's the most convenient to do automatically for every release/build
(15:38:51) tfr42: then let's make a short statement in the maven site that the Javadoc is under development
(15:38:55) markusschneider: currently, the build fails due to a maven issue...
(15:39:07) tfr42: is this reported in trace?
(15:39:11) copierrj: didn't know that i'll have a look
(15:39:12) tfr42: is this reported in trace?
(15:39:18) tfr42: is this reported in trac?
(15:39:32) markusschneider: don't know...
(15:39:44) markusschneider: i mean the site build...
(15:39:53) markusschneider: if we activate javadoc
(15:40:21) markusschneider: in the past, nobody seemed to care, so i believe it's not reported...
(15:40:36) markusschneider: unfortunately, i ran out of ideas to fix it
(15:40:45) copierrj: i did notice that javadoc was missing
(15:41:09) copierrj: I'm not a maven expert, but i'll have a look
(15:41:14) copierrj: maybe I can fix it
(15:41:41) markusschneider: andreas and me failed...
(15:41:50) markusschneider: it's really due to a bug in maven...
(15:41:59) markusschneider: so we may need a workaround
(15:42:11) markusschneider: e.g. generating the javadoc separately
(15:42:28) markusschneider: but great if you try
(15:42:39) copierrj: i'll try
(15:42:46) copierrj: do you by any change have a reference to a maven bug report?
(15:43:12) markusschneider: yes, it's commented in the pom
(15:43:28) markusschneider: i add a ticket with the required information
(15:43:46) markusschneider: maybe torsten could help as well?
(15:43:57) markusschneider: i believe he has the most experience with maven?
(15:44:19) markusschneider: anyway, i add the ticket and assign it to reijer for now
(15:44:27) tfr42: Yes please
(15:44:40) markusschneider: Next item: "WMS shootout tasks"
(15:44:40) tfr42: I can support copierrj
(15:44:44) markusschneider: great
(15:45:32) markusschneider: reijer, i understand that you may have the time to help a bit here?
(15:45:45) copierrj: i'm going to make time
(15:45:56) markusschneider: are you following the benchmarking list?
(15:46:03) copierrj: no, not yet
(15:46:24) copierrj: do you have a link?
(15:46:40) markusschneider: http://lists.osgeo.org/listinfo/benchmarking
(15:46:46) copierrj: thx
(15:47:14) copierrj: subscribed
(15:47:19) markusschneider: i suggest to have a meeting between everybody who wants to help out...
(15:47:33) markusschneider: reijer, andreas and me.
(15:47:36) markusschneider: for now
(15:47:54) copierrj: ok
(15:48:00) markusschneider: of course anybody else can join...
(15:48:19) markusschneider: Next: Mail from website team
(15:48:39) markusschneider: Reijer: what is this about?
(15:49:04) copierrj: Arie didn't receive any response to his mail
(15:49:15) markusschneider: right
(15:49:35) copierrj: (mail was sent to both TMC and PSC)
(15:50:25) markusschneider: the last response was from jens, right?
(15:50:32) markusschneider: no.
(15:50:39) markusschneider: the last one is actually from arie.
(15:50:46) markusschneider: how shall we proceed?
(15:51:47) markusschneider: i see that the mail didn't go to the psc (but only to jens)
(15:51:59) copierrj: who is able to answer in regard to issues mentioned?
(15:52:08) markusschneider: i suggest that arie sends a follow-up to the original psc mail
(15:52:26) markusschneider: and then we (tmc) should second it
(15:52:49) copierrj: are we talking about the mail of 2013-06-13?
(15:52:57) markusschneider: yes
(15:53:06) copierrj: that one was also sent to the psc
(15:53:24) markusschneider: yes, but the one from 2013-06-28 wasn't
(15:54:01) markusschneider: can you ask arie to resend a his request to the full psc/tmc?
(15:54:11) copierrj: sure
(15:54:26) markusschneider: thanx
(15:54:33) markusschneider: last item: Exception handling in deegree
(15:54:33) copierrj: done
(15:55:03) copierrj: I noticed that (by default) deegree is swallowing exceptions
(15:55:34) markusschneider: yes, this happens
(15:55:46) copierrj: is this deliberately
(15:55:47) copierrj: ?
(15:56:02) markusschneider: how about defining a guideline for exception handling
(15:56:06) tfr42: You refer to the try/catch(Throwable) pattern applied in the codes?
(15:56:18) copierrj: yes
(15:56:43) tfr42: Yes, we need a design spec for this critical aspect
(15:56:47) markusschneider: agreed
(15:57:07) markusschneider: i also suggest to consider more usage of unchecked exceptions....
(15:57:12) markusschneider: where appropriate
(15:57:14) copierrj: agreed
(15:57:31) tfr42: Lets prepare a wiki page in github for this
(15:57:32) copierrj: and also make deegree more noisy about checked exceptions
(15:57:58) markusschneider: fine by me...
(15:58:05) copierrj: i lost quite some valuable time last week on exceptions i didn't notice
(15:58:26) markusschneider: if we want api stability, we need to fix a lot of exception handling code...
(15:59:04) markusschneider: but first, we need to find consensus on good practices...
(15:59:06) copierrj: agreed, and we do want that imho
(15:59:19) copierrj: who is starting the wiki page?
(15:59:32) markusschneider: fine. who could prepare such a guideline?
(16:00:31) tfr42: The committers?
(16:00:47) tfr42: The TMC shall give recommendations
(16:01:11) jwilden: agreed
(16:01:19) markusschneider: right. personally, i won't be able to spend any time for the next weeks
(16:01:53) markusschneider: i believe people who have an urge to fix something should come with a proposal
(16:02:12) copierrj: maybe i can have a look at it
(16:02:18) copierrj: but i'll have to check first
(16:02:51) markusschneider: fine
(16:03:06) markusschneider: can you add a ticket?
(16:03:17) copierrj: i'll do that
(16:03:20) copierrj: trac or wald?
(16:03:20) markusschneider: thank you
(16:03:23) markusschneider: trac...
(16:03:32) markusschneider: imho
(16:03:47) copierrj: ok
(16:04:15) markusschneider: ok guys, i believe we're done!?
(16:04:27) jwilden: Seems like it
(16:04:46) copierrj: there is one pull request left
(16:04:52) markusschneider: oops..
(16:04:53) copierrj: in maven plugin
(16:05:03) copierrj: but github is currently serving unicorns
(16:05:33) markusschneider: https://github.com/deegree/deegree-maven-plugin/pull/6
(16:05:42) markusschneider: +1
(16:05:49) copierrj: +1
(16:06:15) jwilden: +1
(16:06:21) tfr42: +1
(16:06:33) markusschneider: merged
(16:06:40) markusschneider: fine
(16:06:57) markusschneider: see you in two weeks
(16:06:59) jwilden: See you in two weeks?!
(16:07:04) jwilden: Bye :)
(16:07:05) markusschneider: :-)
(16:07:10) copierrj: cu
(16:07:16) jwilden hat den Raum verlassen.
(16:07:17) tfr42: ciao
(16:07:28) tfr42 hat den Raum verlassen (quit: Quit: Page closed).